Thursday, March 28, 2013

What I learned while cleaning up vomit

At some point I'm sure every nurse has this feeling..

You start to see yourself in your patients...some more than others. And at that very moment it happens you know- you know that everything you do means something. Fetching a blanket, assisting at meal times, even just a smile as you pass by in the hall way. In fact it may just be the little things that have the most impact.

Every patient be comes you and at that point a lasting bond is formed: they take a part of you and you take parts of them...forever. As you see yourself in the patient you glimpse into your future and become overwhelmed with compassion and sadness at the same time.

When you loose one for the first time it feels like the world is closing in...your heart feels like it's sinking quickly with no way to catch it. Your own mortality begins to stare you down and make your insides squirm. As time goes by it only intensifies while you think about the life they must have lived... Their family crosses your mind and you hurt for them because of what they are about to endure.

There is one patient in particular that I have gotten attached to...I see myself in her every day. And the selfishness in me thinks "I hope I don't end up this way" but the reality is...I will-everyone will. The end of life is inevitable. All any of us can do is use the time we have now...be as productive as possible and hope we make some type of difference.

The bond between me and this patient will ALWAYS stay with me. It makes me better at my job. It helps me spiritually and emotionless...her wisdom even in such a foggy state is amazing
She gives great advice when she is alert.

"Work hard, love harder"
"It doesn't matter what you do as long as you are honest, love what you do and do it well"

The more i am with my patients the more I really feel like I am doing what god intended. I'm in the right place for me...but not just for me for my patients I feel every day that my assigned patients are mine for a reason. Each one has something I can grasp on to an take with me for the rest of my life. I have learned more from them than I ever thought I would.

These people... The ones seasoned in life are people worth spending time with. Even if you are t in healthcare. Their minds are extraordinary; even the ones who spend most of their time confused. They, like everyone else in this world have a need for love. You can give that to them by just being there for them...to talk, read, or even just sit.

I want to challenge you to pray about serving someone outside of your close nit group of family and friends...it doesn't have to be in geriatrics, let god lead you to who, when and where.
Don't let the enemy get in your head and make up excuses or tell you you can't do it or you wouldn't be good at it...if it is from god it will be amazing!!!l

Matthew 5:14-16

1 comment: